Fundamentalist Catholics?
Within the year, we were moving again, this time to the Saint Louis area. There, I had a most unusual experience – I discovered that there was such a thing as Fundamentalist Catholics. I had met a new Catholic friend who introduced me to Sonlight Curriculum, a Protestant Evangelical homeschool curriculum that perfectly suited my teaching style. Unfortunately, it just wasn’t Catholic enough for the Catholic homeschoolers in the area and I was ostracized to some degree for using it.
These Fundamentalist Catholics were so pious and every single academic subject had to be addressed in light of Catholic Teaching. They frowned at me because I didn’t wear a Scapular or Miraculous Medal. I didn’t have my house blessed. I didn’t long for my girls to be Nuns. I wouldn’t join Opus Dei, much less did I know how to spell it! I didn’t have enough children (two), which had them dropping rude comments about those who used contraception (we didn’t). Every time I introduced myself, I almost felt compelled to say, “….and we have only two children because of infertility problems.”
I distanced myself from nearly ALL Catholic homeschoolers. They were nearly as rigid as the Fundamentalist Protestants I had run into in Illinois. I longed for my family in the Illinois Catholic homeschool group, who had nurtured me so well.
My Catholic friend and I joined the non-denominational homeschool group which was very welcoming. They didn’t require a Statement of Faith and they accepted all, including a Mormon family and a Hindu family. They were lovely people. They even accepted Catholics!
This was my first taste of Fundamentalism within the Catholic Church. And you'll know it when you see it. It looks just like Fundamentalist Protestantism: legalistic. They isolate themselves from the rest of the Catholic community by their piously rigid ways and cast judgment on those within the Church who do not attend the Tridentine Mass, do not wear a veil at Mass, and seem to be on a race to have as many children as possible. In some circles, they're known to be "more holy than the Pope." They have the GIRM (General Instructions on the Roman Missal) memorized and watch Priests like a hawk with a check-off list, making sure every part of the Rite is followed to perfection.
I don't think they realize that we won't witness a perfect Divine Liturgy this side of Heaven.
These Fundamentalist Catholics were so pious and every single academic subject had to be addressed in light of Catholic Teaching. They frowned at me because I didn’t wear a Scapular or Miraculous Medal. I didn’t have my house blessed. I didn’t long for my girls to be Nuns. I wouldn’t join Opus Dei, much less did I know how to spell it! I didn’t have enough children (two), which had them dropping rude comments about those who used contraception (we didn’t). Every time I introduced myself, I almost felt compelled to say, “….and we have only two children because of infertility problems.”
I distanced myself from nearly ALL Catholic homeschoolers. They were nearly as rigid as the Fundamentalist Protestants I had run into in Illinois. I longed for my family in the Illinois Catholic homeschool group, who had nurtured me so well.
My Catholic friend and I joined the non-denominational homeschool group which was very welcoming. They didn’t require a Statement of Faith and they accepted all, including a Mormon family and a Hindu family. They were lovely people. They even accepted Catholics!
This was my first taste of Fundamentalism within the Catholic Church. And you'll know it when you see it. It looks just like Fundamentalist Protestantism: legalistic. They isolate themselves from the rest of the Catholic community by their piously rigid ways and cast judgment on those within the Church who do not attend the Tridentine Mass, do not wear a veil at Mass, and seem to be on a race to have as many children as possible. In some circles, they're known to be "more holy than the Pope." They have the GIRM (General Instructions on the Roman Missal) memorized and watch Priests like a hawk with a check-off list, making sure every part of the Rite is followed to perfection.
I don't think they realize that we won't witness a perfect Divine Liturgy this side of Heaven.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home