An Order of Fortitude, Please!
Fortitude is one of the seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit. Fortitude. That’s an interesting word, isn’t it? One that’s not used often anymore. Webster’s Dictionary says it means:
"Strength of mind that enables a person to encounter danger or bear pain or adversity with courage.”
Strength. Courage. Two other words that come to mind are determination and perseverance. I need those things! I need strength just to get out of bed some mornings! I need courage to face my fears, to stand firm in the face of the battles of sin that I encounter in my daily walk with Christ. I’m so much like the wimpy lion in the Wizard of Oz – often wringing my hands with indecision and worry, afraid to face conflict and avoiding confrontation. In other words, I'm a whiner!
With determination, I can grit my teeth and move forward. I can stare down those demons that bind me, that keep me from speaking out when I need to, that stop me from doing the right thing and following the Voice of the Holy Spirit.
I need perseverance in order to hang tough, even when I want to run like heck in the opposite direction. To persevere in Faith means that I keep fighting the Good Fight, even though I grow weary and dispirited, angry and frustrated.
But I can only do these things – grow in strength and courage and persevere with determination – with the help of the Holy Spirit. This is a Gift that I received at Baptism, that was sealed at my Confirmation.
I want more of this Gift! Fortitude allows me to continue to learn, gives me a thirst to know God, and to serve Him, to seek His Holy Face in all that I do. Through the Gift of Fortitude, I can grow closer to the Holy Spirit and grow in holiness. I am certain that just by being more aware of this Gift and by seeking it, the Holy Spirit will grant me that desire.
And so I pray, Come Holy Spirit! I beg for more of the Gift of Fortitude. Please give me courage and strength to battle the sin in my life and to listen to Your Voice and follow Your promptings. Help me to persevere in the face of adversity and persecution. Give me determination to keep moving forward in Your service and to love You with my whole heart, mind, body and soul.
I love you, Holy Spirit! And I want to tap into Your Grace by learning more about this gift of Fortitude. Please show me Your ways, O Lord, and direct my paths.
Amen!
"Strength of mind that enables a person to encounter danger or bear pain or adversity with courage.”
Strength. Courage. Two other words that come to mind are determination and perseverance. I need those things! I need strength just to get out of bed some mornings! I need courage to face my fears, to stand firm in the face of the battles of sin that I encounter in my daily walk with Christ. I’m so much like the wimpy lion in the Wizard of Oz – often wringing my hands with indecision and worry, afraid to face conflict and avoiding confrontation. In other words, I'm a whiner!
With determination, I can grit my teeth and move forward. I can stare down those demons that bind me, that keep me from speaking out when I need to, that stop me from doing the right thing and following the Voice of the Holy Spirit.
I need perseverance in order to hang tough, even when I want to run like heck in the opposite direction. To persevere in Faith means that I keep fighting the Good Fight, even though I grow weary and dispirited, angry and frustrated.
But I can only do these things – grow in strength and courage and persevere with determination – with the help of the Holy Spirit. This is a Gift that I received at Baptism, that was sealed at my Confirmation.
I want more of this Gift! Fortitude allows me to continue to learn, gives me a thirst to know God, and to serve Him, to seek His Holy Face in all that I do. Through the Gift of Fortitude, I can grow closer to the Holy Spirit and grow in holiness. I am certain that just by being more aware of this Gift and by seeking it, the Holy Spirit will grant me that desire.
And so I pray, Come Holy Spirit! I beg for more of the Gift of Fortitude. Please give me courage and strength to battle the sin in my life and to listen to Your Voice and follow Your promptings. Help me to persevere in the face of adversity and persecution. Give me determination to keep moving forward in Your service and to love You with my whole heart, mind, body and soul.
I love you, Holy Spirit! And I want to tap into Your Grace by learning more about this gift of Fortitude. Please show me Your ways, O Lord, and direct my paths.
Amen!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home