In the Heart of Dixie

In the Heart of Dixie... my words and thoughts, my heart.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Counsel Consciousness

When Jesus promised to send the Holy Spirit, He said He would send the Counselor. So what exactly does that mean to me, today?

It should mean that the Holy Spirit is counseling me each and every moment of the day, with every decision. The Holy Spirit should be guiding and directing me in my every movement and action.

And I’m sure He is.

Only I’m not listening.

Half the time I’m such an ungrateful slug that I don’t even BOTHER to seek the Holy Spirit’s Counsel. And yet He’s there for me. Sometimes I hear Him clearly.

And I ignore Him.

Shamefully, I seem to do that a lot. I’ll hear that Voice inside me telling me that I’ve had enough to eat, that I don’t need that last bite of food that I’m about to shove into my mouth. But I eat it anyway. And pretend that I didn’t hear. There are far too many of these incidences, I’m ashamed to say.

The truth of the matter is, the Holy Spirit is couseling me all the time and the only reason I don’t hear Him is because I’m so used to ignoring Him.

I’m going to work on that. In fact, I’m going to go so far as to ask the Holy Spirit to hound me all day long, with the things He wants me to do.

So my prayer today is one of gratitude -- first and foremost because the Holy Spirit hasn’t given up on me! Thank you, Holy Spirit for being inside my heart and giving me faith and hope and the capacity to love. I am grateful for all that You have given me – my family and friends, my home, my work, my joys and sorrows. All that You do is to help me grow in love for You and for my neighbor. Please help me hear Your still, small Voice. And to listen and obey.

Amen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home