Understanding the Holy Spirit
It’s funny, as I’m reading about these seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit, how they all work together. We receive them all at Baptism: Fortitude, Counsel, Understanding, Knowledge, Wisdom, Piety and Fear of the Lord. And as I focus on one Gift, I suddenly can see another Gift working in my life.
Take Understanding, for example. As I pray for an increase in Fortitude, I gain a more sensitive ear to the Counsel of the Holy Spirit. As I begin to actually hear and listen to the Counsel of the Holy Spirit, I gain Understanding into what He would have me do with my life. I’ve no doubt, as I continue, that the other Gifts will fall right into line.
Isn’t that amazing? God has the most perfect plan and if I’ll only tap into it, I’ll have all the Gifts at my disposal in order to follow His Perfect Will. He won’t force me to follow Him – He is a gracious God who respects my dignity and allows me to make the Free Will choice to follow Him. Or not.
Too often, I’ve chosen to NOT follow Him. I can clearly see the results of those decisions as I look back on my life – conflict, chaos, broken relationships, heartburn. Unfortunately, I don’t have to look back very far, either. Like to yesterday. How many times just yesterday, did I not listen to the Counsel of the Holy Spirit and ignore the Understanding that was mine for the taking?
Hmmm. I do recall just yesterday asking the Holy Spirit to hound me with His Counsel! And I’m praying for Fortitude, too. That means He will give me greater insight and Understanding into His Will. I may not understand everything but I will hopefully gain a greater Understanding as I strengthen myself with these Gifts.
So today I’m praying for an increase in the unity of these Gifts.
O Holy Spirit, You’ve already given me the Fortitude to continue with this Novena, so I know that You answer my prayers. I’ve also asked that you hound me with your Counsel, so that I can develop a more sensitive ear to Your Will. Just through these two Gifts, I know that I will begin to Understand You more and more each day. I long to know you, Holy Spirit! I long to serve You! I long to love you in this life, so that I can spend eternity with You in Heaven!
I know You’re watching over me! And I am thankful. I praise Your Holy Name!
Amen!
Take Understanding, for example. As I pray for an increase in Fortitude, I gain a more sensitive ear to the Counsel of the Holy Spirit. As I begin to actually hear and listen to the Counsel of the Holy Spirit, I gain Understanding into what He would have me do with my life. I’ve no doubt, as I continue, that the other Gifts will fall right into line.
Isn’t that amazing? God has the most perfect plan and if I’ll only tap into it, I’ll have all the Gifts at my disposal in order to follow His Perfect Will. He won’t force me to follow Him – He is a gracious God who respects my dignity and allows me to make the Free Will choice to follow Him. Or not.
Too often, I’ve chosen to NOT follow Him. I can clearly see the results of those decisions as I look back on my life – conflict, chaos, broken relationships, heartburn. Unfortunately, I don’t have to look back very far, either. Like to yesterday. How many times just yesterday, did I not listen to the Counsel of the Holy Spirit and ignore the Understanding that was mine for the taking?
Hmmm. I do recall just yesterday asking the Holy Spirit to hound me with His Counsel! And I’m praying for Fortitude, too. That means He will give me greater insight and Understanding into His Will. I may not understand everything but I will hopefully gain a greater Understanding as I strengthen myself with these Gifts.
So today I’m praying for an increase in the unity of these Gifts.
O Holy Spirit, You’ve already given me the Fortitude to continue with this Novena, so I know that You answer my prayers. I’ve also asked that you hound me with your Counsel, so that I can develop a more sensitive ear to Your Will. Just through these two Gifts, I know that I will begin to Understand You more and more each day. I long to know you, Holy Spirit! I long to serve You! I long to love you in this life, so that I can spend eternity with You in Heaven!
I know You’re watching over me! And I am thankful. I praise Your Holy Name!
Amen!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home