The Hands and Feet of Christ
Today I had the very awesome opportunity of making a final delivery before Christmas of the donated items from my parish to the Day Shelter. My van was loaded to the max – hundreds of dollars in toiletries, more rolling duffle bags and back packs, coats and underwear. Right now, they are experiencing a bounty. ‘Tis the season, and people have generous hearts and give what they can and it’s a beautiful thing.
After unloading, my friend Lisa and I were handed several bags of toiletries and underwear and we stood at the head of a line that wound all the way through the closets and out into the hall. The clients hovered, trying to see what kind of goodies we had. For once, they had options: peppermint soap or green apple? Vanilla shampoo or strawberry essence? Aim or Aqua Fresh toothpaste? And here – take two toothbrushes. It was a joy and a blessing to be able to have such excess and to be able to give a woman not one, but two pairs of brand-new underwear.
But there were all the “I’m sorry’s,” too:
“No, we don’t have any more shoes, sorry!”
“I’m so sorry I don’t have a 42D bra!”
“No, the smallest size underwear we have is a size 8 – I’m so sorry!”
One woman asked for boy’s underwear – did we have any? I dug through my bag and came up with the perfect size. To see the delight on her face was worth more than money could ever buy! I handed her two pair and because she was so ecstatic, I handed her two more, putting a finger to my lips in the universal sign of “Shhh! Don’t tell!”
Another lady was very specific: she needed shampoo, conditioner and a brush. I didn’t have it with me but promised I’d try to find some. An hour went by and I had forgotten but she hadn’t forgotten me. Later, I noticed her standing in my peripheral vision and remembered I had promised her something. She reminded me and I sneaked into the Christmas Closet where they normally stockpile items and grabbed the things she needed. When I gave them to her she said, “Oh, thank you so much! These aren’t actually for me but for a lady I know from another shelter. She can’t walk down here anymore to get stuff and I give her a bath every few days.” That surprised me – there is a whole underground community of people who actually live and love and support one another, in spite of their own desperate circumstances.
The Shelter is all abuzz this time of year and the clients are on people’s hearts and minds. There were numerous volunteers there today and have been all week. The saddest thought is that by February, they’ll be rationing again. There won’t be strawberry or green apple essence anything. There won’t be the choice of Crest or Colgate toothpaste. The rolling duffle bags will be gone – not just given out but some of them used as barter, or sold or maybe stolen – and many of the clients will be back to carrying their entire lives in plastic grocery sacks.
After every visit to the Day Shelter, I realize that I have no clue what desperation is. When you stare it in the face, you understand more clearly what Jesus requires of us – to be His hands and feet. And to try and bring His peace to a weary soul. But more importantly, more urgently – food, clothing, shelter. A little bit of comfort to their lives of hell.
I just pray that by February, they are not a dim memory in my own life.
After unloading, my friend Lisa and I were handed several bags of toiletries and underwear and we stood at the head of a line that wound all the way through the closets and out into the hall. The clients hovered, trying to see what kind of goodies we had. For once, they had options: peppermint soap or green apple? Vanilla shampoo or strawberry essence? Aim or Aqua Fresh toothpaste? And here – take two toothbrushes. It was a joy and a blessing to be able to have such excess and to be able to give a woman not one, but two pairs of brand-new underwear.
But there were all the “I’m sorry’s,” too:
“No, we don’t have any more shoes, sorry!”
“I’m so sorry I don’t have a 42D bra!”
“No, the smallest size underwear we have is a size 8 – I’m so sorry!”
One woman asked for boy’s underwear – did we have any? I dug through my bag and came up with the perfect size. To see the delight on her face was worth more than money could ever buy! I handed her two pair and because she was so ecstatic, I handed her two more, putting a finger to my lips in the universal sign of “Shhh! Don’t tell!”
Another lady was very specific: she needed shampoo, conditioner and a brush. I didn’t have it with me but promised I’d try to find some. An hour went by and I had forgotten but she hadn’t forgotten me. Later, I noticed her standing in my peripheral vision and remembered I had promised her something. She reminded me and I sneaked into the Christmas Closet where they normally stockpile items and grabbed the things she needed. When I gave them to her she said, “Oh, thank you so much! These aren’t actually for me but for a lady I know from another shelter. She can’t walk down here anymore to get stuff and I give her a bath every few days.” That surprised me – there is a whole underground community of people who actually live and love and support one another, in spite of their own desperate circumstances.
The Shelter is all abuzz this time of year and the clients are on people’s hearts and minds. There were numerous volunteers there today and have been all week. The saddest thought is that by February, they’ll be rationing again. There won’t be strawberry or green apple essence anything. There won’t be the choice of Crest or Colgate toothpaste. The rolling duffle bags will be gone – not just given out but some of them used as barter, or sold or maybe stolen – and many of the clients will be back to carrying their entire lives in plastic grocery sacks.
After every visit to the Day Shelter, I realize that I have no clue what desperation is. When you stare it in the face, you understand more clearly what Jesus requires of us – to be His hands and feet. And to try and bring His peace to a weary soul. But more importantly, more urgently – food, clothing, shelter. A little bit of comfort to their lives of hell.
I just pray that by February, they are not a dim memory in my own life.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home