Freedom in the Holy Spirit
The Holy Spirit is a lover who invades your soul. But He won’t do so without an invitation. That’s where our Free Will comes in.
God loves us so much and He wants our love in return. He will never force Himself upon us – what kind of gift would we be giving back to him if it were one that was forced or that we had no choice in? That’s not freedom. That’s bondage.
And lo, what bondage there is without the Holy Spirit. The grip of sin can bind us so tightly to worldly things -- things of the flesh, distorted wants and desires, twisted addictions, disordered thinking, fear, anxiety, doubts, confusion and frustrations. Chaos.
And I look around the world and see this chaos and I know why it’s there – because too few people, including those of us who call ourselves Christians, do not surrender our will to the Will of the Holy Spirit. We refuse to listen to Him, we don’t acknowledge Him, we neglect to ask Him and we purposely avoid Him.
Guilty as charged, as I look around at my own life and I see the chaos. Because I, too, refuse to surrender.
But I want to surrender! What keeps me from surrendering?
Pride. The disordered thinking that says that I know best, I want what I want when I want it and I’ll run right over anyone who keeps me from it. And then I wonder why I experience fear and anxiety, doubts and confusion, frustrations?
It’s very clear to me – at the moment.
Give me an hour and I’ll forget again. Such is life as a human.
The only way I can remember is to continue to focus my life on the Holy Spirit. I continue to pray for Fortitude, to have an open heart and soul to listen to His Counsel. He will then give me His Understanding and Knowledge. With these Gifts, I will then be able to use the Gift of Piety and put these things into action – good works, all for His honor and glory.
Freedom from bondage.
I can be free! But only through the Gifts of the Holy Spirit!
I am struck by the power of these Gifts. And I do want more of them! And so I pray –
O Lord, give me Your Gifts of the Holy Spirit! I want to know You and love You with my whole heart. And I know I cannot do so without You. I cannot surrender without Your help. I cannot be released from the bondage of sin without Your grace. You promised me these Gifts of the Holy Spirit at my Baptism and sealed them at my Confirmation. With Your help, I can allow them to grow in me and will be rewarded with Your peace.
I give You my Free Will, to follow Your Will and I will listen for it.
Amen!
God loves us so much and He wants our love in return. He will never force Himself upon us – what kind of gift would we be giving back to him if it were one that was forced or that we had no choice in? That’s not freedom. That’s bondage.
And lo, what bondage there is without the Holy Spirit. The grip of sin can bind us so tightly to worldly things -- things of the flesh, distorted wants and desires, twisted addictions, disordered thinking, fear, anxiety, doubts, confusion and frustrations. Chaos.
And I look around the world and see this chaos and I know why it’s there – because too few people, including those of us who call ourselves Christians, do not surrender our will to the Will of the Holy Spirit. We refuse to listen to Him, we don’t acknowledge Him, we neglect to ask Him and we purposely avoid Him.
Guilty as charged, as I look around at my own life and I see the chaos. Because I, too, refuse to surrender.
But I want to surrender! What keeps me from surrendering?
Pride. The disordered thinking that says that I know best, I want what I want when I want it and I’ll run right over anyone who keeps me from it. And then I wonder why I experience fear and anxiety, doubts and confusion, frustrations?
It’s very clear to me – at the moment.
Give me an hour and I’ll forget again. Such is life as a human.
The only way I can remember is to continue to focus my life on the Holy Spirit. I continue to pray for Fortitude, to have an open heart and soul to listen to His Counsel. He will then give me His Understanding and Knowledge. With these Gifts, I will then be able to use the Gift of Piety and put these things into action – good works, all for His honor and glory.
Freedom from bondage.
I can be free! But only through the Gifts of the Holy Spirit!
I am struck by the power of these Gifts. And I do want more of them! And so I pray –
O Lord, give me Your Gifts of the Holy Spirit! I want to know You and love You with my whole heart. And I know I cannot do so without You. I cannot surrender without Your help. I cannot be released from the bondage of sin without Your grace. You promised me these Gifts of the Holy Spirit at my Baptism and sealed them at my Confirmation. With Your help, I can allow them to grow in me and will be rewarded with Your peace.
I give You my Free Will, to follow Your Will and I will listen for it.
Amen!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home