Holy Trinity Headache
When I talk about God, I often speak as if I actually understand Him. But when I try to really wrap my brain around the Holy Trinity, my head starts to hurt!
Who can explain it? Well, the Church has actually tried – way back in 326 AD at the Council of Nicea is when the Doctrine of the Holy Trinity was defined. God is One, yet Three Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Makes sense?
Yeah, right!
And yet when I look at what these three Divine Persons DO, it becomes more clear:
God, the Father, is our Creator. He created everything from absolutely nothing.
God, the Son, is our Redeemer. Begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father.
God, the Holy Spirit, is our Sanctifier. Through Him, we grow in holiness.
Our Creator created from nothing. A total void. Can you even imagine a total void? There wasn’t even darkness for He had not created it yet! God, the Father, is so immense, so vast, that I can’t even get a mental picture of what total nothingness must have been like before He decided to create.
And then there is God, the Son. How can He be of the same substance as the Father? How was He begotten, and yet not created? And an even greater Mystery is why He came as a babe, born of the Virgin Mary, and became man. For reasons that are quite beyond me, He wanted to become part of my story – our story. The Lord, the Giver of Life, put His own life within a teen-aged Jewish girl, so that He could restore our relationship with Himself.
Sure! I’ve got it!
The Holy Spirit is He who makes us holy. We can do nothing without Him and we certainly can’t become holy -- as He is Holy -- on our own. He is God in His own right, the power of love so strong between the Father and the Son that He exists as the Third Person of this Triune God we worship.
Now I get it!
Not really.
I have a headache.
All I know – and only because the Church tells me because there’s no way I could ever figure it out on my own – is that the Holy Spirit is the One who will lead and guide me into a more holy life. If I let Him. He’ll give me His Gifts of Fortitude, Counsel, Understanding, Knowledge, Wisdom, Piety and Fear of the Lord, and through my constant tapping into the sources of His Grace, I’ll be able to obey and cooperate and do His Will.
Now that, I understand!
Who can explain it? Well, the Church has actually tried – way back in 326 AD at the Council of Nicea is when the Doctrine of the Holy Trinity was defined. God is One, yet Three Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Makes sense?
Yeah, right!
And yet when I look at what these three Divine Persons DO, it becomes more clear:
God, the Father, is our Creator. He created everything from absolutely nothing.
God, the Son, is our Redeemer. Begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father.
God, the Holy Spirit, is our Sanctifier. Through Him, we grow in holiness.
Our Creator created from nothing. A total void. Can you even imagine a total void? There wasn’t even darkness for He had not created it yet! God, the Father, is so immense, so vast, that I can’t even get a mental picture of what total nothingness must have been like before He decided to create.
And then there is God, the Son. How can He be of the same substance as the Father? How was He begotten, and yet not created? And an even greater Mystery is why He came as a babe, born of the Virgin Mary, and became man. For reasons that are quite beyond me, He wanted to become part of my story – our story. The Lord, the Giver of Life, put His own life within a teen-aged Jewish girl, so that He could restore our relationship with Himself.
Sure! I’ve got it!
The Holy Spirit is He who makes us holy. We can do nothing without Him and we certainly can’t become holy -- as He is Holy -- on our own. He is God in His own right, the power of love so strong between the Father and the Son that He exists as the Third Person of this Triune God we worship.
Now I get it!
Not really.
I have a headache.
All I know – and only because the Church tells me because there’s no way I could ever figure it out on my own – is that the Holy Spirit is the One who will lead and guide me into a more holy life. If I let Him. He’ll give me His Gifts of Fortitude, Counsel, Understanding, Knowledge, Wisdom, Piety and Fear of the Lord, and through my constant tapping into the sources of His Grace, I’ll be able to obey and cooperate and do His Will.
Now that, I understand!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home