In the Heart of Dixie

In the Heart of Dixie... my words and thoughts, my heart.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Pursuing Piety

Piety is one of those odd words that brings to my mind a little old lady on her knees, clicking her Rosary beads. I can hear something like a Gregorian Chant in my mind’s ear and see the candles glow as her lips move, eyes closed, as she goes through her prayers.

That’s like another world to me.

So I turned to the dictionary for help. Here’s the applicable dictionary entry for Piety:

“The state or quality of being pious, especially religious devotion and reverence to God.”

So I suppose my little old lady is pious. But Piety is not narrowed down to some specific act, posture or position – it really boils down to love and giving all glory and honor to God.

I want to do that!

Why is piety a dirty word in our language today? Is it because it’s attached to “good works”? People through the history of the Church have always done pious acts – not to earn their salvation, but to give honor and glory to God. We serve others, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the imprisoned, and pray for those we love – even our enemies. These are pious acts, done out of reverence and love of God and in obedience and cooperation with His Grace.

We – humanity – have also created frescos, statues, paintings, musical compositions, to name a few. These were all done, composed or created out of love for our Creator. These are objects, made by pious people out of love and reverence for Our Beloved God.

God gave us a spirit of creativity – whether it comes in the form of artistic ability, the gift of being able to solve problems, or the capability of using our hands to heal or repair. These can all be used in service to God, to honor Him, to bring Him glory, to revere Him.

So piety is turning our day-to-day lives over to God and allowing Him to use our talents and gifts to show Him reverence and to do His Will.

I want to be pious, even if it comes with persecution! Like the little old lady praying her Rosary, I, too can honor God in the ways that He has given me – with the help of the Holy Spirit. For this is a Gift of the Holy Spirit, this Piety, and He WANTS me to use it for His glory and honor! He wants me to use my natural abilities and gifts in service to Him, He wants my pious acts, my good works, to be used for building up His Kingdom.

What freedom! To know that every pious act I do is a Gift of the Holy Spirit and I can turn around and give it BACK to God!

It’s time to roll up my sleeves and get PIOUS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home