In the Heart of Dixie

In the Heart of Dixie... my words and thoughts, my heart.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Sonlight Catholic and The Bible Christian Society

A couple of years earlier, when I was introduced to Sonlight Curriculum, I was fortunate enough to stumble across an Internet homeschool group of Catholics who were adapting, modifying and supplementing Sonlight Curriculum and making it Catholic. It was called (originally enough) Sonlight Catholic! I had been leary of using a non-Catholic curriculum but to tell you the truth, I didn’t like any of the Catholic ones. Finding this group of Catholics who were peppering the curriculum with a more Catholic flavor was the perfect find!

I had been on this list for about four months when out of the blue, I received an email message: “Hi! I am the Owner of the Sonlight Catholic list and have decided to no longer use Sonlight to teach my children. As of Friday, I will be closing down the list, unless someone volunteers to take over.” I was devastated! This list was my only connection with Catholic homeschoolers and I couldn’t imagine what I would do without them. So I did the only thing I could: I wrote the lady back in teeny-tiny writing and said, “If no one else steps forward, I’ll take over as Owner.”

Well, you can imagine what happened! On Friday, I received a nice note from her that said no one else had stepped forward and “Congratulations! You are the new Owner of the Sonlight Catholic list!” Great. I had no idea how to run an email list but she assured me that it was all self-explanatory and wished me well!

So by the time I had made it to Georgia and had come under such uncomfortable anti-Catholic situations, I had been List Owner of Sonlight Catholic for a little less than two years. These were my best friends, although I had not met any of them in real life. We talked about way more than Sonlight Curriculum and lots about the Catholic Faith and I was soaking it up like a sponge. Right after the series of Holy Week sufferings, I poured out my heart to these friends about how wounded I was, how awful life was in the Buckle of the Bible Belt, how rejected I had been. And how my children were suffering from a lack of friendship.

One of these E-maginary friends asked if she could send me a tape that she thought would help me. Soon I received a tape entitled "One Church" by John Martignoni of The Bible Christian Society. John built a fabulous case for Christ’s Church – the Catholic Church – and I felt as if a fire had been lit inside my brain! I soon learned that he had many tapes available at his website and slowly but surely, I ordered them all and listened to them over and over and over, trying to memorize the Apologetic responses in defense of the Catholic Church. That tape was a Godsend, and was most instrumental in me getting up off my butt and educating myself in Catholic Teachings!

Finally, I was motivated enough to learn. Actually, I was driven to learn. I was tired of living in the closet and tired of being ashamed of my Catholic Faith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home