Becoming a LifeLong Learner
I met a lovely woman who was Greek Orthodox, who was best friends with another friend who was Roman Catholic. The two of them greatly influenced me to seek Christian unity. This raised more questions in my mind about the Eastern Orthodox Faith – also part of the ancient Church, which led to studies about the Early Church Fathers, whom I had never read.
I will tell you this – which I believe with all my heart – the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Churches are Mirror Twins. And I've hear vehement protests from both sides. But I think they believe the same things, only different. They each have roots to the ancient Church and they both lean on the understanding of the Early Church Fathers. But they explain themselves differently. I think they are both wrong in some ways and both right in others. There was a point in time when I considered that the Eastern Church was more likely the Church of Christ but after much study, thought and prayer, I finally came to the conclusion that they were missing two things: Peter and the Keys.
I truly became a LifeLong Learner through the Sonlight Forum and learned so much about my Faith, as well as the faith of others. Through much study over about two years, I fell in love with the Catholic Church all over again, as time after time my Catholic sisters on the Forum presented such a well-reasoned and Scriptural defense of Church Teachings. I even found myself sticking my toes in and defending the Catholic position! At the very least, I could point out holes in the Protestant defense.
One thing I've learned by being on the Sonlight LifeLong Learner Forum, the LL(L), is that there can be a lot of learning to be had, if one will ask questions. I am sincere in my desire to know and understand what my brothers and sisters in Christ believe.
How can we ever become united, unless we try to seek common ground?
I will tell you this – which I believe with all my heart – the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Churches are Mirror Twins. And I've hear vehement protests from both sides. But I think they believe the same things, only different. They each have roots to the ancient Church and they both lean on the understanding of the Early Church Fathers. But they explain themselves differently. I think they are both wrong in some ways and both right in others. There was a point in time when I considered that the Eastern Church was more likely the Church of Christ but after much study, thought and prayer, I finally came to the conclusion that they were missing two things: Peter and the Keys.
I truly became a LifeLong Learner through the Sonlight Forum and learned so much about my Faith, as well as the faith of others. Through much study over about two years, I fell in love with the Catholic Church all over again, as time after time my Catholic sisters on the Forum presented such a well-reasoned and Scriptural defense of Church Teachings. I even found myself sticking my toes in and defending the Catholic position! At the very least, I could point out holes in the Protestant defense.
One thing I've learned by being on the Sonlight LifeLong Learner Forum, the LL(L), is that there can be a lot of learning to be had, if one will ask questions. I am sincere in my desire to know and understand what my brothers and sisters in Christ believe.
How can we ever become united, unless we try to seek common ground?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home