DixieMom is Born!
Shortly thereafter, another friend posted a note on the Sonlight Catholic email list and recommended that we all go over to the Sonlight Forum and see what a great job one of our members was doing defending the Catholic Faith. I popped over and saw a viciously anti-Catholic thread on Infant Baptism. That list member was doing a fantastic job defending the faith, providing thorough Scripture passages and using logic and reason to explain the Catholic Faith. I was very impressed! I had read or heard much of what she was saying but there was no way I could have articulated that defense of the Catholic Faith myself.
At one point in this Monster Thread, a lady posted the following:
“I was born Catholic and was baptized as an infant. When I was saved in my 20’s, I was baptized by immersion in the Baptist Church. Now I’m Pentecostal and have been baptized by the Holy Spirit!”
Huh.
I couldn’t help myself – I got sucked in, in an instant! I cut-and-pasted her words into my very first post and asked a single question, “I wonder which one of these is the right way?”
Responses came from every direction! And I couldn’t help but ask more questions. For one thing, I couldn’t defend the Catholic Teachings because of my lack of Scripture knowledge and little ability to maneuver my way through the Catechism (I had actually never read it. I dusted it weekly, along with my Bible that sat on the coffee table in the living room). But the responses demanded more questions and so I asked them.
Within days, my personal mailbox at the Sonlight Forum was filled with messages from well-meaning people who said things like, “I can tell you are a seeker…” and “You are obviously searching for answers…” along with links to many websites. Those websites directed me to information about Reformed Theology, Landmark Baptist Theology, King James Only Theology, New Age information and everything in between. Since I knew nothing about these various faith perspectives, I had new questions!
So I posted them. And before long, I became known as a “questioner”. I was also able to ask questions about the Catholic Faith – things I didn't know or perhaps things I did know but couldn’t explain and wanted to see it explained side-by-side with the opposing perspective.
DixieMom was born, quite by accident. And before I knew it, people had put me into a box. And because of my lack of apologetic ability, I decided to stay there.
At one point in this Monster Thread, a lady posted the following:
“I was born Catholic and was baptized as an infant. When I was saved in my 20’s, I was baptized by immersion in the Baptist Church. Now I’m Pentecostal and have been baptized by the Holy Spirit!”
Huh.
I couldn’t help myself – I got sucked in, in an instant! I cut-and-pasted her words into my very first post and asked a single question, “I wonder which one of these is the right way?”
Responses came from every direction! And I couldn’t help but ask more questions. For one thing, I couldn’t defend the Catholic Teachings because of my lack of Scripture knowledge and little ability to maneuver my way through the Catechism (I had actually never read it. I dusted it weekly, along with my Bible that sat on the coffee table in the living room). But the responses demanded more questions and so I asked them.
Within days, my personal mailbox at the Sonlight Forum was filled with messages from well-meaning people who said things like, “I can tell you are a seeker…” and “You are obviously searching for answers…” along with links to many websites. Those websites directed me to information about Reformed Theology, Landmark Baptist Theology, King James Only Theology, New Age information and everything in between. Since I knew nothing about these various faith perspectives, I had new questions!
So I posted them. And before long, I became known as a “questioner”. I was also able to ask questions about the Catholic Faith – things I didn't know or perhaps things I did know but couldn’t explain and wanted to see it explained side-by-side with the opposing perspective.
DixieMom was born, quite by accident. And before I knew it, people had put me into a box. And because of my lack of apologetic ability, I decided to stay there.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home