In the Heart of Dixie

In the Heart of Dixie... my words and thoughts, my heart.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Can Dixie Come Out and Play?

Here’s the bald truth: DixieMom cannot be Catholic on the LL(L). At least not at this time in my life. For reasons that I’ve explained in previous blog entries, I have a desperate need for privacy.

I’ve prayed long and hard about this. I’ve begged God to show me a way to “come out of the closet” as a Catholic but have not received any clear answers. I’ve sought the spiritual direction of my Priest and his best advice was for me to be more “transparent” but in no way required that I disclose my faith affiliation. I think DixieMom is pretty transparent – it is obvious that I have Catholic “tendencies” and fall down on the Catholic position on every issue.

It is not in my temperament (nor in my skill bank) to defend the Catholic Faith overtly, but rather to evangelize in the way that God created me and to use whatever gifts I have in the way I can be most effective. You see, God made us all different. And He gave us each a charism at the moment of our Baptism that would help to build up His Kingdom. And so I go about the business of building God’s Kingdom in the way that He leads me.

I ask questions. I look for ways to point out problems with Protestant theology. I talk about my own experiences as a Protestant, “in the church I grew up in”. I seek to know what others believe. I try to build bridges of unity.

I am a thorn in many peoples’ sides!

But the truth is, I’m just trying to be who I am, and work within the parameters that I’ve been given, to spread the love of Christ to all who I come in contact with. Do I fail? Oh, yes, all too frequently.

I do believe that the Catholic Church holds the “fullness of the Truth” and I want that for everyone I meet, because I love them. But I also believe that the Road to Rome is not always straight. And I trust that God is working in my life, and the lives of those who are NOT Catholic, to fulfill His Great Purpose.

I hope that Dixie has a place in the land of Sonlight. It’s been a wonderful playground for me for the past two years. I’ve learned so much – about faith, about community, about my brothers and sisters in Christ. And I pray for God’s Mighty Hand to guide all of us in the way that we should go. Amen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home