In the Heart of Dixie

In the Heart of Dixie... my words and thoughts, my heart.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Angel of God, My Guardian Dear

Today is the Feast Day of the Guardian Angels.

Within the entire Church, all Masses will be said today in honor and veneration of the Guardian Angels we are each assigned at birth. Here’s what the Catechism says about that:

336 – “From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession. “Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life.” Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men united in God.”

We’ve taught our children the Guardian Angel Prayer:

“Angel of God, my guardian dear, in whom God’s love, entrust you here.
Ever this day be by my side, to light, to guard, to rule, to guide.”

And at night, we bless them with the Sign of the Cross with the words, “Bless you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. May Jesus and the angels protect you now and always.”

So my girls have grown up, surrounded by the presence of angels.

But I didn’t. Why didn’t my family teach me about Angels? Why didn’t my independent, non-denominational church preach about Angels? Why were we never shown that Angels surround us and are available to lead us, to guide us, to show us the ways of God?

Through my studies over these past few years, I believe it’s because of a great misunderstanding of the Mystical Body of Christ that Saint Paul talks about all over his Epistles. In Hebrews 1:14, he tells us. “Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?”

How we are bound together, angels and humans -- both created by the Creator -- is a great Mystery. And that’s what has always been missing in my faith: mystery.

I’ve always been attracted to angels. I remember collecting them several years ago and placing them all over my house, like sentinels. But they weren’t real, and I knew it. And I think because of my upbringing, with its Big Hole where angels are concerned, I may never feel them. I’m pretty bummed about that -- I feel as though I’ve been gypped out of getting to know some very important family members.

I have a friend in Illinois who has a great relationship with her Guardian Angel. His name is Norman. And she calls for his help here and there, particularly when she needs a good parking place!

Does that take away honor and glory from God? I don’t think so. I've seen her heart. Talking to Norman is like talking to me on the telephone: no worship involved.

My friend is merely appreciating that she’s not alone, delving into the Mystery. She’s acknowledging that she has family who are already in the presence of God. And she recognizes, too, that no Angel -- not even Norman -- can do anything without God. That’s how the Mystical Body of Christ works – we all help one another, bound together by the Blood of Christ, working for one another, with the Grace of God. Trusting, without understanding the how’s and why’s of it all.

So I have a Guardian Angel here – somewhere. Pure Spirit, neither male nor female -- leading me, guiding me, helping me along my path. I wonder if I can develop a relationship with this family member. I honestly don’t think I know how.

I’ll pray for myself this time – “Angel of God, my guardian dear, in whom God’s love entrust you here. Ever this day, be by my side, to light, to guard, to rule, to guide.”

Amen!

2 Comments:

  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger Dixie said…

    I think they must -- the Archangels, Gabriel, Michael and Raphael, all have different temperaments. So it would make sense to me that angels have different personalities! They even have free will. So it would make sense that they would have different personalities. Lucifer must've been a choleric! :o)

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger Dixie said…

    By the way, if you want to relive that experience of when your Mama gave you that Guardian Angel picture, just Google Guardian Angel Print and it pops right up!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home